What is required before I can be eligible for Benefits?

270 hours of employment must be reported by a union employer.

The employer will report the amount of hours you have worked on a monthly basis, and will send $2.67 for each hour you have worked. As soon as you are eligible for benefit coverage, then you will be notified by mail. Coverage will commence the 1st of the month following receipt of the completed applications.

How are the Benefit Plans funded?

Both the Welfare Plan and Pension Plan are funded by Union Employers.

The Employer submits contributions on the behalf of each employee in accordance with their collective agreement. These contributions fund the benefit premiums required for the Welfare Benefits Plan and fund the equity required for the Pension Plan.

Why is there a wait period between my hired date and my insured date?

The initial eligibility to be covered for benefits is 270 hours reported to the Plan. Generally, it takes three months from when you work the hours until they are received and entered into your hour bank.

Example of an Hour Bank Member:

Month Hours
February 135
March 135
Total 270

The March Hours are received in our office by the 15th of April.
The Welfare Office enters the hours by the 30th of April.
After the April month end, enrollment applications are mailed to eligible members with at least 270 hours in their hour bank.
Benefit Coverage will commence the first of the month following the receipt date of the completed enrollment application.
To confirm the date of coverage, a letter will be mailed to the covered member along with the Benefit Plan information.

What happens with my Benefit Plan upon termination of work?

During the time of your employment, your hours worked were reported by your employer and recorded at the UA Local 170 Welfare and Pension office.

For every 135 hours worked, the UA Local 170 Welfare & Pension office will pay one month of benefit premiums while you are working. Any surplus hours not needed can remain accounted for in an hour-bank system and can accumulate over a period of time.

The maximum surplus of banked hours is 1620 hours. This is sufficient to maintain your benefit coverage for up to 12 months upon termination of work.

Your benefit coverage will continue on a monthly basis while at the same time your hour bank will be lowered by 135 hours, until there is less than 135 hours. At that time you will be notified that your benefit coverage is about to lapse.

Your options for self-payment will be mailed to you before your coverage expires.

For more detailed information on Self Payment Rates for Benefit Coverage, click here.

What options do I have when my Benefits go into a lapsed condition?

You have the option to pay for your benefits by monthly self-payments. If you choose to not self-pay, then your benefit coverage will cancel.

You will be notified by mail, in the event that there are not enough contributions to cover your benefit coverage.

This will provide you with ample opportunity to self pay for coverage
which you can do for up to 24 months or until resuming employment with a union employer and reaching a balance of at least 135 hours in your hour bank.

If I am not sure of what I'm covered for, what should I do?

You should have received a booklet called:

Group Benefits – Plumbers Local 170 Welfare Plan.

Please refer to this booklet. You can request one from our office or download the PDF copy.

If you need more information, please feel free to contact:

Local 170 Health & Welfare Plan
Delta, British Columbia
Phone: 604-526-3434
Toll-Free: 1-800-665-6808


Coughlin & Associates
Winnipeg, Manitoba Division
*Please note time difference, they are on Central Daylight Time (CDT).*
Toll-Free: 1-888-204-1234